Sports

ATP, WTA and ITF take strong measures against Russia; country stripped of top event | Tennis News

The Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) and the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) on Wednesday suspended the WTA / ATP joint event, scheduled this October in Moscow due to the Russian invasion of neighboring Ukraine which left thousands dead and real home. In particular, the International Tennis Federation (ITF) has decided to suspend the tennis team of Russia and the Belarus Tennis Federation and to remove their entries from all ITF international competitions until further notice.

This action follows the permanent cancellation of all ITF tournaments in Russia and Belarus. However, Russian and Belarusian tennis players, including World Cup-winning favorites No. 1 Daniil Medvedev and Andrey Rublev among others, will continue to be allowed to compete in international tennis events on the Tour and at the Grand Slams , but they will “not compete under the name or flag of Russia or Belarus until further notice.”

A joint statement by the sporting governing body of the ATP, WTA and ITF said, “Extreme pain, shock and sadness have been felt throughout the tennis region following the Russian invasion of Ukraine last week. Our thoughts are with the Ukrainians, and we commend the tennis players who have spoken out and taken action against this unacceptable atrocity.

“The safety of the tennis community is an immediate priority for us. The focus of the WTA and ATP has been in recent days on contact with current and former players, and other members of the tennis community from Ukraine and neighboring countries. , to check on their safety and provide any assistance, ”the statement said.

“The international tennis governing body remains united in our condemnation of Russia’s actions and, as a result, in accordance with the following decisions and actions The WTA and ATP committees have decided to suspend the WTA / ATP joint event, this. In October in Moscow the ITF decided to suspend the tennis team of Russia and Belarus tennis Federation and to withdraw their entries from all ITF international team matches until further notice.This action followed the cancellation of all ITF tournament in Russia and Belarus infinity. “

“At this time, players from Russia and Belarus will continue to be allowed to compete in world tennis events on the Tour and in the Grand Slams. However, they will not compete under the name or banner of Russia or Belarus until further note, ”the statement added.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button